The Pacific Coast Conference (PCC) was founded at a meeting at the Oregon Hotel in Portland, Ore in 1915. The original membership consisted of four schools – the University of California at Berkeley, the University of Washington, the University of Oregon, and Oregon Agricultural College (now Oregon State University). All still are charter members of the Conference.
Pacific Coast Conference play began in 1916 and, one year later, Washington State College (now Washington State University) was accepted into the league, with Stanford University following in 1918.
In 1922, the PCC expanded to eight teams with the admission of the USC and the University of Idaho. In 1924, the University of Montana joined the league roster, and in 1928, the PCC grew to 10 members with the addition of UCLA.
The Pacific Coast Conference competed as a 10-member league until 1950, with the exception of 1943-45 when World War II curtailed intercollegiate athletic competition to a minimum. In 1950, Montana resigned from the Conference and the PCC continued as a nine-team Conference through 1958.
In 1959, the PCC was dissolved and the Athletic Association of Western Universities was formed. The original AAWU members were California, Stanford, USC, UCLA and Washington. Washington State joined the membership in 1962, while Oregon and Oregon State joined in 1964. The name Pacific-8 Conference was adopted in 1968.
In 1978, University of Arizona and Arizona State University were admitted to the league becoming the Pacific-10 Conference. In 1986-87, the league expanded to include 10 women’s sports.
In June of 2010, the Conference became the Pac-12 with the addition of the University of Colorado and the University of Utah.